Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Bibliophile's Delight

I learned to read when I was four, and have had my nose in a book ever since. I rarely read these days for simple enjoyment. I usually read to learn something new or reinforce something I thought I already knew. But, I enjoy research immensely, so technically I am reading for enjoyment. As a child if I asked my parents a question about...well, anything...I was told to "go look it up." Our house was a bit like a library in that there were a lot of encyclopedias and other reference books available. We read them for fun because we didn't have a television. I still cite the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and the World Book Encyclopedia as two of my favorite books. I also enjoy gardening reference books where I can look up the Latin names of plants. For some reason this gives me a special thrill, as does reading cookbooks...

When I read a book I attempt to absorb every word. For a long time I didn't realize that everyone else doesn't read the entire book. I'm talking the inside of the book jacket, the copyright page, the address of the publisher...everything.

I made my weekly trip to the library yesterday and wanted to share my reading list with you. I'm not necessarily recommending these books, because I haven't read them yet, but this is what I picked up.

A Short History of the Honey Bee
Humans, Flowers, and Bees in the Eternal Chase for Honey
by E. Readicker-Henderson
Also on my reading list:
An Omelette and a Glass of Wine by Elizabeth David
In Search of Bacchus-Wanderings in the Wonderful World of Wine Tourism by George M. Taber
South Wind Through the Kitchen by Elizabeth David

1 comment:

  1. I too read the book from cover to cover, including the edition and amount of copies in the run. And yet I refuse to label myself OCD. Labels are bullshit anyway.

    I share your thirst for knowledge. Lately I'm bent on history, and I'm reading through some books on Samuel Adams, FDR, and the run-up to the Great War. The more I read history the better I feel about current events. Everything moves in a pattern.

    ReplyDelete